We made this the other night and oh my gracious was it delicious! We did make some changes from the original recipe. For instance, we do not life sweet potatoes, I had a pound of ground Italian sausage in the freezer, and I couldn’t find Gruyere cheese.
So, here is the adapted recipe we did!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4ish golden potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 16 ounces ground Italian pork
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup (or more…I don’t judge) fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 2 Cup chopped kale
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add potatoes and sausage. Brown the sausage and allow potatoes to cook a little. I did this for about 10 minutes or so.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bring stock and 1/2 cup of milk to a slow boil and turn down to simmer. Stir flour and remaining 1/4 cup of milk, in a separate bowl, to make a thick concoction. Add to the broth, stirring or whisking well to keep sauce smooth. Add in 1/4 cup of cheese and stir until melted. I also added seasonings here
- Pour sauce over the potatoes, kale and sausage in a baking dish. (I used a 8×8 glass pan). Top with remaining cheese and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
My husband loved this! We had it for lunch and leftovers for the next day and a half. It was perfect for a chilly, rainy, Texas fall day. I really think that this would be great with any type of cheese. I’m sure, if you like sweet potatoes, that this would be delicious as well!